Thursday, October 11, 2007

pounding down cancer for Kevin

I did it!!! I figured out how to cut and paste the original letter I sent out to my friends regarding this fundraiser. Please consider jumping on board.


Hi guys,
Okay, this is the deal. It’s actually a “twofer” (you know, two for the price of one!).
Part 1:
Over the past few years the gods of the voluptuous have been blessing me greatly with a body that would make those of yesteryear, in the era of ruebenesque (is that a word?) women, drool with envy. Alas, I was born too late for them to appreciate me!!! So I have made a new friend named Craig, .Jenny Craig that is. “She” and I have been working together for the last 6 weeks and I have lost 16.5 pounds. Yahoo!
Part 2:
I have a very good friend from high school (go wildcats, Naples, Italy) who has two wonderful boys. The oldest recently graduated from college and is also an ALL cancer survivor. He has been in remission for over 5 years and is considered cured! She has a soon to be 14 year old who has been in remission since January from his SECOND battle with this terrible disease. Go Kev!
This is where YOU come in! Every year we (my kids and I) try to do something for childhood cancer awareness. Three different times we have had an electronics drive and collected videos, gameboys, game consoles, games, chargers…etc for the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. The overflow goes to the Ronald McDonald house. This is a great service project for your kids to do and it is SO appreciated by the children receiving treatment, the parents, staff and the sometimes forgotten about siblings (cancer affects them too!).
However, the best thing to happen would be to find a cure. It takes money!!! So… this is where the twofer is… I am asking everyone to support me in this effort to become less of a person mass-wise and more of a person heart- wise. This campaign is called “Pounding down cancer for Kevin.” For every pound I lose between now and Dec 31 2007 you can donate $1. This is painless (for you at least ) since the average weight loss is 1-3 pounds a week. Every week (or month) I will update you on the loss and you put the $1 per pound in an envelope. At the end of the year exchange the cash for a check and send it to me. The checks would be made out to “Childhood Cancer Foundation”. I will tabulate the total and forward them on with a complete list of names and addresses to the foundation so that you will get a tax receipt for your records.
But wait if you order now… I mean if you sign up now ...the first 17 pounds are on me. Okay, so they are really OFF me and I rounded up! I am not going to hound anyone to do this; this will be the only email/letter you receive. I will only update those people who email me back and say “YES, I WANT TO HELP THE FIGHT AGAINST CHILDHOOD CANCER!” Please indicate if you want a weekly or monthly update. I am going to try to get a website going but hey, it took three days and many eye rolls from my kids to teach me how to do the ipod! OMG that is the coolest thing ever! I can’t exercise with out it now.
Please take a minute and think of just how easy it is to do this! Email me back and let me know that you want to help. What if your dollar was the last dollar needed because a cure was found? Way cool, huh?!
Thanks,
Katie

No comments: